Wednesday, April 4, 2012

How to build an Inexpensive Isolation Platform: (IIP)

Pic of the parts you will need
Time to go shopping! List of supplies below.
cost more than the glue

Stone Paint
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       


                              
 One audio/ video geek’s hobby project 
 journeys into the art of construction,
 without actually constructing art.


Question? 

Have you ever checked out just how damned expensive some of these Isolation Platforms are?
I personally think the going prices are crazy. 
Now, granted, if I had a couple of grand invested in some insanely high-end turntable, like those young fellows at Acoustic Sounds, well then maybe I would consider spending several hundred dollars on the best damn Isolation Platform that I could possibly afford.

 One wooden platform filled with fiberglass currently sells on the web for over $2,000! 

Now - that's my definition of INSANE !

I’m sure I’m not the only A/V geek out there
 that’s ever wanted his (or her ) very own isolation platform, without having to spend a “mint.”Although, to be honest, I’ve never, in all my years, personally known a female A/V geek. ( Why- yes, that Is Sad - I know. )
 BTW, a  “mint” to me, would be,
   several hundred dollars.
 OK, so Why that amount?
Well, because, quite frankly, the cost of my gear just does n’t warrant it.

Decided to build my own, without breaking the bank. 
 IF you only knew what I pay in child support...
This Isolation Platform doesn't have or need to be perfect, it simply has to do “the job”. ( Who am I kidding?)
  I’m not building one with the idea/ or goal of attempting to improve the sonic characteristics of a stupid high -end turntable. No, I simple want to isolate an old Laserdisc player, a CD player, a DVD recorder and tape deck.  1st I looked at the cost of marble, which I  discovered started at  $39 a SQuare foot, and went up! 
Even though Marble is what I really, really wantedthat would have blown the whole budget. Oh, the budget. The budget you say. 
What just was my budget?

 Just how cheaply am I attempting to make this thing, and still have it do the job? Well, let’s just say, for the sake of argument, that $49 dollars was the budget. Oh, and by the way, $49 was not the budget for just a mere single platform, but for two of them. 
That’s right - two of them!
So I'm attempting to build A $25 Isolation Platform !
What's that? Can’t be done you say?
Let me quote old Buzz Light-year here.   “CAN!”
How?
Well, let’s start with our "Home Depot" Shopping list, shall we? I simply can’t afford marble. However, I can afford some leftover ceramic / porcelain Floor Tiles. 
They aren't thick enough (yet) to do the job, 
but we can and will, address / fix this. 
So - here we go.

1)    18 X 18 Floor tile. Times Four.(open stock)     $8
2)    8 3-1/2” Round Felt Sliders (feet)  Two-packs  $11
3)    Non-sanded grout gray caulk  (Expensive!)       $7
4)    Heavy Duty PL 375 (glue)                                $2
5)    Industrial gray spray primer                               $6
6)    2 cans of Sandstone Spray paint (on clearance) $9
7)    3M Masking Tape                                             $3
8)    Tax:         $ 2.53
9)    Total =    $48.53 !!!! 
10)    Optional feet (HD Rack balls and wood cup holders)$3.25&$5 = $8.25

     OK, w/ the optional feet, we went over budget, & it turns out, you only really need 1 can of paint.I just blended the two colors. But I hope you see why I assembled 2 Platforms. The cost to build the second platform only really added $9.50 in real world dollars, ( $4 dollars for the tile, plus $5.50 for the "feet") because the rest of the cost to build the 1st platform was fixed, at $39, & would have left me stuck w/ "leftover" material. Now, there was little waste, but a better distribution of cost. Could I have built a third with these material  for another $9.50? No.  No cause the 3rd one would have added almost  $20 in additional material.
Anyhow,
here is the 411 on how to construct the platformIt’s rather simple. (see pics below)

1)    Cut the tip off the HD PL 375 (glue) and 

            lay it into the middle of the tile.
     WARNING! This stuff dries VERY quickly. 
          I mean, like in under 2 mins!

2)    Press tile together firmly, making sure they line up. 
Let sit for 20 minutes.

3)    Take non-sanded grout and lay into 

       the exposed seam on all 4 sides, filling it. Let it dry. (FYI, I let this stand overnight)

4)    Mask off the edges


5)    Spray edges with Gray primer.


6)    Let dry. (see instructions on the Can)


7)    Lightly sand if you wish.


8)    Paint. (Warning! Do NOT Paint the bottom.)


9)    Let Paint dry. (4 hours) Then remove masking tape.


10)  Add HD PL 375 glue at the center of the black tops 
 of the felt pads,  & glue them to the bottom of  platform, & let dry.

That's IT. I present to you - your very own Isolation Platform. So, what do you think of my solution?


protect "underside"
non-sanded grout caulk

Stone painted

Add felt feet

How well do they work?
Well- they just do.
IF You build one - 
let me know what you think.
Would love for someone w/ one of those insane High-end units to give this a Try......


END

......
                                                                              

No comments:

Post a Comment